Monday, May 9, 2011

Huzzah! Tomato-free Chili!!

I know it is hard to believe, but this really tastes like chili! Or at least it tastes like chili to my tomato-deprived tongue.

Chili

2 T Olive Oil
2 Medium Onions
3 Cloves Garlic
1 1/2 lbs Ground Beef
2 T Cumin
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Cloves
1 1/2 tsp Oregano
1 Bay Leaf
2 tsp Celery Seed
2 tsp Salt
1 C Water or Stock
1 1/2 C Pureed Carrot
1 T Umeboshi Plum Paste
1 1/2 tsp Tamarind Paste

Saute onions in oil. Add beef and garlic and cook until beef is browned. Add spices, stock, pureed carrot, plum and tamarind. I cooked this in my pressure cooker so at this point I just brought it to pressure and cooked it for 15 minutes. If you do not have a pressure cooker I would recommend cooking the chili for an hour or two on the stovetop.

No comments:

Post a Comment